Obstetrics Today Covers Preconception Screenings
In order to have a healthy baby, you need to prepare your body for conception. Whether it is your first or subsequent pregnancy, you need to ensure your health and the health of your unborn child. This means that you need to make sure that your lifestyle is healthy and that any contraception is stopped. Whilst some women resume their regular cycles almost immediately, other women may wait several months before their normal cycles resume.
Preparing for Conception
To prepare for conception, you need to check yourself and make sure that you practice the following:
- Maintain a healthy body weight and body mass index (BMI). For instance, if you are a certain weight, your BMI coordinates with that weight. For most women, a healthy BMI is about 20 on the BMI scale.
- Regularly take part in physical exercise. By taking part in a regular exercise routine, you can increase your energy level and better cope with stress.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can hamper any effort to conceive.
- Cut back on drinking alcohol or consuming caffeine. Just as smoking, these activities can make it difficult for you to conceive.
- Begin taking a regimen of prenatal supplements during the pre-conception phase. These kinds of supplements are rich in folic acid and will ensure that you and your unborn child will remain healthy.
Scheduling a Screening
Once you have made any modifications to your lifestyle, you will need to sign up for preconception screening in Singapore. This is an important part of the process. During the health screening, your physician will perform a full physical exam including blood testing, STI screening, and a pap smear. He or she will also perform a screening for any gynaecological conditions. By having the screening performed, you can anticipate any potential problems that may affect your pregnancy.
For instance, if you have a pre-existing medical condition such as high blood pressure or diabetes, these issues can be addressed. Maybe you will need to switch medications or discontinue the use of a certain medicine.
Conception Takes Place During Ovulation
In order to conceive, you will also have to understand more about ovulation. Ovulation is a phase in the reproductive cycle that increases your chance of getting pregnant. The process begins when a mature egg is released and travels down a fallopian tube for fertilisation. Normally, the egg will survive up to 24 hours after it leaves the ovary. Therefore, conception occurs during ovulation.
When Ovulation Regularly Occurs
If you are successful and fertilisation occurs, you will be pregnant. Otherwise, the egg, if not fertilised, will be shed with the thickened lining of the uterus during menstruation. Ovulation takes place monthly. It normally occurs about 12 to 16 days before your next period.